Monday, November 24, 2008

Make the YUCKY go away




I know I joke about my cooking. But honestly, I didn't think it was really that bad. I always like what I cook. Joey doesn't always like it, but I just thought he was super picky. Gwen has said a few things lately that make me think I might just be a bad cook.

This conversation happened on a drive to Price about a month ago.
Gwen: "Mom, I'll tell you when I see a McDonalds."
Me: "Aunty Em is going to make us dinner."
Gwen: Her eyes light up and she says, "Oh Mom, Haylees mom makes the best food!"
There is total silence for about 10 minutes. Apparently Gwen was using that time to go over all of her mealtime disappointments in her head. Because then she says, "Mom, Emily makes food taste better than you do."



I was not present for this conversation, but Joey couldn't stop laughing as he related it to me later. Joey and Gwen were watching tv and this infomercial featuring Mr. T and the Flavor Wave oven came on. Gwen watched the whole commercial intently and told Joey that they needed to buy Mom the Flavor Wave. She said, "See Dad, all the yucky is melting off!! It will make Mom's food taste so good!" I watched the infomercial online and it looks like more of a hassle than anything.

My family has been trying to send me other hints that I have been missing for awhile.

Max doesn't eat. But as I was moving him from my bed to his own last night, I caught him eating in his sleep. He had a little smile on his face and he was chewing on something delicious and imaginary.

We go through a lot of cereal at our house. Before Joey's dinner has had a chance to hit his stomach, he has poured himself a bowl of cereal.

No one ever eats my leftovers.

Sometimes Gwen would rather go to bed hungry than finish her food.

Any advice? I would rather not have to change the way that I do anything. So if anyone has any magic advice, I would love to hear it.

Does anyone enjoy cooking? If so, did you always?
What are some simple things that your kids enjoy eating? Something other than ramen noodles and mac and cheese. I've got those two down pretty good.

9 comments:

Nat said...

Oh Suzy! What a sad (and funny) post! I don't know that I am an excellent cook. My kids could be models for starving posters...but I blame that on genetics. My hubs is so un-picky that I never know if anything I make is good.

I think my cooking has improved over the last nine years. I don't burn stuff as much, and I actually enjoy cooking. Okay, I love it, but I hate all the clean up.

My kids love chicken, pizza, homemade cream of potato soup, homemade bread, hamburgers, chicken salad sandwiches, roast, pasta (yuck) and every dessert known to mankind. If you want some recipes, email me and I'll hook you up with a few of their favorites. Good luck!

Nat said...

Oh, and I saw Emily at Wal-Mart on Friday! Her kids are so cute!

kellyrass said...

This is becoming kind of sad. Just go to the pioneer woman and make the chicken spaghetti. It is good. Please check out the updated LOL kitty. The beer one is funny.

Melanie said...

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you! Have you tried my famous dog food spaghetti recipe? Tacos? I have the simplest recipe for a big meat pie. You brown the hamburger and drain it, add a can of vegetable beef soup, and put it in a store bought pie shell. Put another shell on top, cut slits in it and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Make brown gravy from a package. It's a hit with my family except for Caleb. He's a 15 year old who has cereal for most meals. He says he'd better serve a mission in the states. Oh, he's also afraid of flying so he says he'd better go on a mission to Colorado or Wyoming. How did this become about Caleb?

Good luck!

Sarah said...

Pretty mych all my meals are simple but good. I never cook without a cook book and I never try to "improve" the recipe. If you want I can email you some yummy and simple recipes.

Jennie said...

Maybe that's what my problem is! I've always wondered why my kids don't eat. Apparently I need to "melt the yucky off" of my food. Jameson throws up at least once a week. I guess it runs in the family.

Randi and Jackson said...

I have to stick to the few good staples I have in my dinner making routine. But they are secret. Anyway that infomercial looks sweet. I saw an even better one, go to my blog, Joey will get a good laugh.

Aubrey said...

That is a tough one. I guess I am blessed with great eaters because my kids will eat whatever is put in front of them for dinner. Not that they eat a ton but they will eat what I make. And by no means am I saying it is my cooking. I LOVE the crock pot. The favorite thing for lunch for my kids is edamame. I am not sure why they love it so much but it's way easy very inexpensive. Do your kids like chicken? If so, give me your email address and I will give you a recipe for Soft Chicken Lime Tacos. My kids LOVE these. Good luck!

Loriannie said...

I seem to remember trying to get you to learn to cook and you were too busy reading. i also remember seeing all your cook books at a yard sale. do you see a pattern? People aren't born knowing how to cook. It just takes practice. By the way, you are a good cook. i love your taco soup.