Monday, December 08, 2008

Girl Talk



The other night Gwen and I drove to Price alone. Joey stayed home with the boy. I thought Gwen would fall asleep if I left late and I could have a quiet drive. She stayed awake the whole time. And that girl can talk. She never stops. We had some funny conversations, and this is how the whole trip started. We are five minutes into our drive and Gwen says, "Mom, can Dad hear us?" I say "No." and she says, "Good, then we can talk."

So tell me. When did you start feeling weird and awkward around your dad? I know I didn't start when I was four. But I can't recall exactly when it started. I remember that throughout junior high and high school I would bring a book with me to watch tv. Just in case a maxi pad commercial or something came on. Then I could pretend that I had no idea what was going on and somehow that was less embarrassing.

And when can you go back to feeling normal around your dad again? I think I have gotten to that point. But it took having my own kids to get there. I dreaded telling my dad that I was pregnant with Gwen. I didn't like knowing that he would know what I had been doing. Even after being married for two years I thought maybe he wouldn't think I was doing THAT.

There is something about having children though that takes away all your pride. I could talk to my dad about anything now and not feel like blushing for a second. And now I realize that I could have always talked to him about anything. So how can I make Gwen realize that she is way better off confiding in Joey. Did anyone out there ever not go through an awkward phase with your dad?

And what about you boys out there? I don't want things to get awkward with Max. I hate feeling awkward. I remember walking into the kitchen one sad sad day to hear my mom giving all three of my little brothers the S-E-X talk right at the kitchen table. I don't want to do that. There are a lot of words that make me cringe, still. Not only every proper word for almost every body part, but things like panties and caress. Blah. I guess I will need to practice. If anyone is giving these sorts of talks in the future, can I sit in? Could I bring my camcorder? That would make giving the talk a lot easier for me, if I could just push play. The sad truth is that by the time my kids are in 2nd grade they will probably know more than me.


Has anyone been successful with homeschool?

9 comments:

NatPalmer said...

Things were awkward with my dad when I was little because he made it that way! I remember asking him what a virgin was & his eyes got huge, he broke out into a nervous sweat & then lied. (Well, told a half-truth. In his defense, I am the oldest kid.) For a long time, I thought a virgin was someone who hadn't had a baby yet until my mom corrected me. You're right though- after having kids nothing's that embarassing around your folks.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Funny stuff. I love the clarity and/or nuttiness of your thoughts. You hit the nail on the head about the ackwardness of watching tv with dad, etc.

OK, so we have the sex talk with our kids soon after baptism. I talked to my oldest, it went well. She and I have had open lines of communication since then. In fact, just last week I gave her the expanded version, about sexual pleasure that I'd left out on the babymaking version. I was too late. She was embarrassed, but I made her sit through it. She already "knew everything" so I shouldn't have waited until almost 12 and should have probably brought it up around 10.

Which brings me to my 10 year old son. His dad had the talk with him at 8 and totally botched it. When I went in for recon, it was really horrible, since I'm the mom. My suggestion is to talk to your girls alone, (the whole dad thing is too much) and then talk to your sons together. It's a rare man that can do a good job and tie up all reproductive loose ends ALONE. OK, so back to the 10 year old boy. I probably need to have a part two discussion with him. Over Christmas Break. . .

So I have an 8 year old daughter that needs the talk too. So that's another fun adventure for Christmas Break. This should be a year no one forgets.

Jennie said...

That's so funny! I LOVE gwen's little face in that picture. So cute!

Sarah said...

I am still in the ackward stage with my dad (as I'm sure you already knew) but I hope I can figure out a way to teach my kids the importance of a temple marriage and keep them from temptation as much as possible. Good luck!

Nat said...

When Clint and I were engaged, we decided that he would give our boys "the talk", and I would give our girls "the talk." Lucky me! All boys!

(...and Clint denies ever having this conversation...)

Nat said...

...and I just read the comment from sevenvillageidiarts about giving "the talk" around baptism...

HECK NO! My oldest will be eight in THREE WEEKS!!

(...it is a great idea, but he'll probably never talk to me again!)

kellyrass said...

Like Dion says, If you wait for eight your too late.

KINDER LOVE said...

SO my dad made me and my sister listen to a tape in the car called "Sex is Like an Apple."I guess he had the push play approach. I completely blocked it out. I have no Idea what it said. It was the worst car ride of my life because my dad was so nervous and wierd about it. Needless to say I think it permanently scarred my sister and I and made the "awkwardness" about talking about sex here to stay. I personally am going to MAKE SURE that my children feel like they can come to me about anything. Sex can be a beautiful thing, and I wish it was something that I could have gone to my parents about, or something that they could have talked to me about. Anything that I don't want them to do, or wait for, is going to be an open discussion, then maybe it wont be such a big deal and appeal to them with their rebel genes.

Jennie said...

I just read all of these posts. So funny. You know? My parents never gave me the talk. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Wait! My mom gave me some "helpful hints" just before we got married. THAT was a little awkward. But at least it wasn't my dad, right?