Thursday, January 29, 2009

Roasting Marshmallows

Remember the marshmallows I made last month? If not click here to see them in all their one dimensional glory. I decided not to give up and have become quite the expert marshmallow maker. I decided it was time to try new things with marshmallows. My first experiment was indoor marshmallow roasting.


1. Add 1/2 c cold water, 1 1/2 c granulated sugar, a pinch of salt and 1 c of light corn syrup into the smallest saucepan you own.

2. Turn the heat to high. Not medium high, but high high.

3. Walk away.

This is what is should look like.
4. When the mixture eventually boils over, about 6 minutes, pull pan off of burner.

5. This will allow the burning mixture to catch on fire.

6. Yell for your husband.
(May be substituted for any man's name with no difference to the outcome...no response.)

7. Finish off with a sprinkling of baking soda. (This finishing touch is sure to elicit applause from any young onlookers.)

Here is the finished product

My mom might have tasted this if she were here. She always burns her marshmallows over the campfire...on purpose. She loves them black and crispy. The smell in my house all night reminded me of her.

Any bright ideas for cleaning up?

5 comments:

patty said...

You have taken marshmallow making to the next level for sure. You don't even need sticks.

Randi and Jackson said...

just send Max in there to clean up.

Nat said...

Ha ha ha! That is so funny! I hope it goes better next time!

Melanie said...

You really had me going. I was carefully taking notes until the walk away part. Then I was like, what? That's crazy! Too bad stove tops aren't disposable!

kellyrass said...

Just throw it away. The whole thing.