Friday, January 16, 2009

Suzy Homemaker


Would you believe it if I told you this apron was not bought at the store? It wasn't. It was made with a pattern, hand picked fabric, and love. But not by me. Gwen's wonderful Grandma Patty made this apron just for her. I think it is the cutest thing I have ever seen.



Joey bought Gwen and I matching aprons for Christmas (and they are so special to us). But you can never have too many aprons, especially stylish ones. So on the way home from Price the other day Gwen says to me, "Mom. When Grandma Patty gave me my beautiful apron I told her I love it and I want it and is it for me? Cause it would be rude to say that I already have an apron. And I really wanted it." I was very glad to hear that she is learning manners. It is definitely not from me. (Now I just need to somehow get it through her head that it is not funny to toot during prayers. And it is especially not funny to laugh really loud afterward...while the prayer is still going...and then claim it.)



And here is a recipe for these delicious crepes. Somehow when I was all out of groceries last week, I had all the right stuff to make these. And they were so simple. You know that if I am making them, it must be easy. Right Em? This recipe is mostly for my sister. This will be the first time I have ever taught her anything in her whole life. She is one of the best cooks I know. I love to go to her house and make her cook for me. Anyway, my son will not touch these, but her son couldn't get enough. So here it is:

Crepes Batter
3 eggs
1/2 c milk
1/2 c water
3 TB butter (melted)
3/4 c flour
1/2 tsp salt (I forgot to add this last time and it was fine)

Heat a skillet on medium heat. Spoon in 4 tablespoons of batter and then tilt the pan until you have a thin circle. (I don't use oil in the pan for this recipe. I guess the butter helps. Or it could be the brand new pans that Joey got me for Christmas. If you aren't using non stick though, you might want to heat up some oil in the bottom of your pan before you start.)
Cook the crepe on one side for about 1 minute. Then flip it and cook for another minute. (or 20 seconds if you are in a hurry.)

Filling Mix
8 oz. cream cheese
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 TB lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest (I don't do this because I never have fresh lemons.)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c heavy whipping cream

Combine cream cheese, sugar, lemon stuff and vanilla in a bowl. Mix it for a few minutes on a low speed. In a separate bowl beat the whipping cream. Beat it until it looks like whip cream, but not so long that it turns into butter. If you happen to beat it too long though, just add a little more cream and it will soften it up again. Then pour the whip cream into the other mixture and fold it all together.

Then put the filling on the crepes and roll them up. Don't ask Randi what she thought, she was not impressed. But I like them.

5 comments:

Nat said...

I love crepes and cute aprons. My guys also have a problem with being reverent in the prayer. Congrats on the crepes!

Melanie said...

I love aprons! I sewed some for Christmas and have the fabric to sew more.

As for prayers, certain daughters of mine like to say funny things when they're blessing the food at family dinners to get a laugh. I'm talking ADULT daughters.

The crepes look delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Randi and Jackson said...

what! you liar, I was impressed. they were goo ood.

Aubrey said...

Thanks Suzy! I have always wanted to make crepes but have NEVER tried (mainly because of no recipe) so now I have no excuse. I am always in need of something new to try.

Ummm . . . . . Are you sure you don't want to come move to Herriman with us and we could be great neighbors and borrow sugar from eachother??!!! And the best part would be that Max would have a HUGE park and field to be free in which would mean no more messes inside for you to clean!!!

erikrass said...

2 questions
did you officially change your name to suzy homemaker
and
if so joey change his to joey homemaker?