Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Summer of Firsts

Gwen gave her first haircut...to Max.

Joey and I went camping together of the first time.  (Didn't love it.  Neither did Joey.  Wind storm...nuff said.)

I went wakeboarding for the first time.  (Also didn't love it...what do you do once you get up? And chillin in the water while you wait for the boat to come back and get you is creepy.)

Cliff jumping for the first time.  

This one was just plain embarrassing.  See that 5 foot cliff we are climbing down to? (I can't move my pictures, so just scroll down and take a look.)  Now see the 3 foot ledge underneath that?  That is where I stood for 10 minutes with shaking legs and hands, in my lifejacket, while everyone else had to keep bringing the boat back around in the hopes that I might quit being a pansy.  We were there with our old bishop and I am a little afraid of him.  Normally I am too afraid of getting yelled at or someone being disappointed to be afraid of whatever it is I'm doing.  But not this time.  I am not afraid of heights.  Which is good because we weren't high.  I am afraid of the water.  Especially the 60 foot depths underneath this 3 foot jump.  Who knows what is down there??!!  So scary to think about.  (dead bodies?  underwater big foot?  lake monsters?  ok...I'm getting the chills just thinking of all the possibilities.)

Joey however IS afraid of heights and he jumped right off.  I decided to just stay in the boat for the next cliff, but Joey just ran and jumped off that 40 foot cliff.  SCARY.

Okay...look at that cliff again.  Does it count?  Can I say I've cliff jumped now?  Or do I have to do it again?


Okay, now I want to know your BIGGEST fear.  While I was being a pansy on the cliff, everyone else was trying everything to get me to jump.  They told me there was a spider next to me...I decided I'm not afraid of spiders...or even the real lizard that creeped up beside me.  Thinking of snakes almost got me to jump...until I thought of the snakes that might be in the water.  So I have decided that my biggest fear is deep murky water.  (And then snakes and sharks.)  Think hard...what is your BIGGEST FEAR?



5 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Looks like you have been having fun! I wouldn't jump either, I love like the sky coaster at lagoon but I love that someone else has control of me instead of just myself throwing me off a cliff.

KINDER LOVE said...

You make me laugh. I jumped 60 ft at Powell. I think back to that and figure I must have been drunk. Which is even scarier. I would never do that in my right mind.

KINDER LOVE said...

You make me laugh. I jumped 60 ft at Powell. I think back to that and figure I must have been drunk. Which is even scarier. I would never do that in my right mind.

Emily P said...

I kind of feel how you do in the water. I have done stuff in the water with friends, but would never dare be like the people on movies who just jump into water and swim around. I got bit by a fish or something at Lake Powell and really don't like wondering what is in the water! I understand and also you really wouldn't see me cliff diving. Do you feel bad that you are a wuss like me?

Jennie said...

Yeah. I don't love adventure. But I tell people I do because I feel like I SHOULD be enjoying it. I'm kind of boring that way. Besides, I DO like telling people that I've done "cool" things. When I was little I was afraid of cold sheets. I thought that there was something down there living in the cold that would grab my feet. I don't know what would have happened after that, but I was terrified. Now my greatest fears involve things like a stray bullet from my neighbors hitting one of my kids...hopefully we'll move soon and I can regain some sort of normalcy.