Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of School

I didn't get any pictures of Joeys first day of school. He had to leave at 6 in the morning and my eyes were still adjusting to the light. He wouldn't even wear a special outfit for his first day. I don't even think he showered. Oh well.



Gwen didn't know anyone in her kindergarten class. She told me that she played with Tyler (a preschool friend) at recess but that he kept running away. How sad is that? She said she didn't make any friends. She makes friends at McDonalds, so I'm not too worried about it. But I would rather my kids never have to experience life.

I was a little disappointed in myself for not having a cute sign ready that said "first day of kindergarten". So imagine my remorse when we got to the school and I realized that these pictures that I took in front of the house were not sufficient. All the other parents were posing their children in front of the school building and with their teacher for first day pictures. Would it be weird if I did all of that on the second day of school? I'm afraid so.
Gwen gave her teacher this book. She wrote in it herself. Thanks for the tip Kristi! (She has no idea who I am and will never read this. I stalk her.)

We walked Gwen to her classroom and then turned and walked away. I realized halfway back to the car that I am indeed heartless and without human emotions. We turned back around and walked back to her classroom. All of the other kids had parents hugging them and taking pictures. Gwen was sitting at her desk reading a book. She is also a robot. A really whiny one. So we took a picture and gave her a hug and left again...feeling not quite right. Maybe I will get it right when it's Max's turn. I'm afraid not.

6 comments:

Naomi said...

Gwen looks so cute! :) I think your pictures are definitely sufficient for the first day of school! Things must have become more advanced these days because for our school pictures we'd just take like one or two at home and that was it. I do remember though my first day of kindergarten that my mom road the bus with me to school! I thought that was really fun :) That was a really cute idea to give the teacher a book!

Elaine Goold said...

Oh cute Suzy! You are a great mom and you've raised independent children. That is a good thing! Kindergarten teachers love children who are able to be away from their parents without being traumatized the first day of school. My school has been in session for 3 weeks and we still have kindergartners that cry most of the day for their moms and, let me tell you, teachers do not like those kids. They cherish the ones who are well adjusted and enjoy school and can sit at their desk and read a book!!! So pat yourself on the back, and say, "I'm a great mom and I have great kids!"

Nanette Gamble said...

I love her outfit! She is so cute. I'm sure she will make friends. You're a great mom! I am already nervous about Ethan going to kindergarten and he still has 2 years.

Sarah said...

I love her first day of school outfit. Your posts always crack me up, I think it is just fine that you took pictures at home, that is what normal parents do. :)

Jennie said...

Hmm...must be those crazy scrapbook moms who stress more over having the "perfect picture" than how well their kid is adjusting (I used to be one of those moms, lol). At least she didn't spit in a kids face and push some poor girl with a broken arm into a railing(like mine did today in preschool). I don't think I'm ready for this whole school thing. My son is apparently a little unpredictable...

Aubrey said...

Okay, so she has to be the cutest Kindergartener ever!! That boy that ran away from her will certainly wish he hadn't some day!!