Friday, September 11, 2009

Random Acts of Kindness





I realized last night that I have a serious problem. The kids and I were driving late last night when I discovered to my dismay that the last cd to my book on tape was in the very back of the car. So I HAD to pull over to retrieve it. Little Gwenny woke up as I was opening my door and said groggily, "Are we out of gas again?" In her short five years of life, this little girl has been stranded on the side of the road more than many people experience in a lifetime.

I want to send out a thank you to all of the important people in my life who have rescued me from humiliation, heat stroke, being late for class, and quite possibly from being murdered in the middle of nowhere.

**Note: These pictures are not of the actual people. Although I have pictures of most of them, I thought it would be funny to google their names and see what comes up.



Kelli Ann came to my rescue once upon a time very soon after giving birth to her second child. She probably shouldn't have even been lifting a gas can. But double thank you for not sending Chad.



Aunt Lori...I'm so glad you keep a gas can in your garage. Especially since you live on a steep hill...



An ex-boyfriends older brother...that one was really not my fault though, I was just an innocent passenger. It was a lot less traumatic to be stranded on the side of the road before I had two kids to think of. And with a strong boy along for the ride.This is seriously what came up when I googled the older brothers name. I guess I was with the wrong brother.



Rich from Aspen...that was the worst experience ever. I ran out of gas 12 miles from Green River just before I would have gotten cellphone service back. Not that a working cell phone would have mattered this time. Joey was in Alaska and I was on my way to visit my family in Colorado. So there was no one who could have come to my rescue. All he asked in return for all of his help (and for not being a serial killer) was one little hug. I tried not to cry as I explained my predicament to this strange man on the side of the road. But I couldn't help it. And then I couldn't talk. And then my nose was running. And he was staring at me like he wished he hadn't stopped. It was embarrassing. He happened to have a gas can in his truck...so I didn't have to load my kids into a strangers car. And he followed me to the nearest town just to be sure.





Rachelle...thanks for getting out of bed at midnight to come and rescue my kids and I in the bright yellow Two Brothers scion that apparently does NOT get good gas mileage.




And Dad...I wouldn't have made it to where I am today if it wasn't for you. Too many times to count. I love you.


And you can get all of the supplies to make this cute little board book here today only at 63% off.



What is your worst road side experience?

7 comments:

Lori said...

One time I was heading to Salt Lake from Cedar. I had four of my kids and a friend in my car. My car kept overheatng so we stopped at the scariest rest area on I-15. It is now closed (thank goodness) It had a really bad reputation. Here I was stranded, no one to call and really frantic with all these young kids in my car. This guy came over to see if he could help. He looked under the hood and found that a fan wasn't running - he just happened to have these tiny little jumper cables that he put on my fan and attached to the battery and it started to work. I slobbered my thank yous. He gave me his address and said just send them to me when you get to where you are going. Then he left. It really felt like a miracle.

{Brooke} said...

That's funny that Gwen would ask if you were out of gas again!!! I'm gonna have to try googling pictures to see what comes up. Aunt Lori is looking good!!! :0)

Aubrey said...

Wow Suzy, you need to stay home!!! I have had a few experiences on the road with kids in the car BUT only one time was it without my husband. Only one major breakdown in Arizona that stands out to me - thank goodness.

Your stories are hilarious - love the pics!

Melanie said...

About a year ago, when Sophie was a few days old, I was leaving my mom's house and all of the sudden I hear a big clunk/crash from my car.
I didn't think anything of it until I had to stop at the light over by the Holiday Inn/Log Palace and my car wouldn't go and pieces were falling out of the engine.
Some how I managed to get the car to the side of the road.
It was the middle of August so it was crazy hot in the car, I had a new born and a two and a half year old, plus I hadn't showered so I was in my pajamas with greasy hair, mascara under my eyes...Anyway, my dad was 20 minutes away and finally came to rescue us. It was embarrassing and awful. But I got a new car out of the whole thing.

Nanette Gamble said...

Your so funny Suzy. I love the pictures.

Lori said...

Suzy, you need to tell Brooke that's how your aunt lori really looks!!

Dunn4 said...

Suzy......I can't believe you found that picture of me on the internet! Wow, wonder how it got there, last time I looked it was still in my photo album. Who would have ever thought that by googling the name "Rachelle" it would bring up the photo of ME in my trench coat & boots... go figure, Rita...... Rachelle?? Hmmmmm, Mind Boggling