Wednesday, August 11, 2010

#8 I made dinner...from scratch

Thanks everyone for all the recipes!

Well, I really only got one actual recipe.
(So thanks Amy B. We are totally friends now.)

I had to plan dinner this morning. (Who seriously does that?)

So I decided to go with "The Food Nanny".

I already loved her, but had never taken the time to look her up.

I decided to make chicken picatta, homemade spaghetti, homemade garlic bread and lemon slush.

I will probably never make spaghetti sauce from scratch again.

Garlic is really hard to peel. And I didn't love it. It was ok though.

I loved the chicken picatta.

Have you ever ordered it from The Cheesecake Factory?

It comes with a cream sauce and I wish this one did...next time.

Also next time...I will not use fresh squeezed lemons.

I wasn't sure if the garlic bread was going to work.

She says to rub a garlic clove on the bread.

I was skeptical.

But it worked. It was kind of awesome.

By the time we sat down to eat I was too tired to document it.

But I did take some pictures of my kids....eating food.

Can you believe that both of them ate all their food?

Crazy.

I will have to try cooking more often.

Go ahead and ignore the plastic cups.


Joey even helped clean up after dinner. Who knew?

Crazy things happen when you put in a little effort.

4 comments:

kellyrass said...

I predict that you will NEVER be able to maintain this. You made a big mistake by actually showing Joey that you CAN cook. I like to keep it loose with quick and easy meals that Erik doesn't remember. He knows that I can cook but he makes no requests.

patty said...

I didn't think you should actually COOK anything. I just thought she had some good ideas about organizing a menu. Like Italian night......
You went above and beyond the call of duty! I don't even know what chicken picata is-except for the chicken part.

Nat said...

Way to go!
...and I would have never noticed the plastic cups if you hadn't pointed it out! :)

Melanie said...

Peeling garlic tip:

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/how-to-peel-garlic-quickly-and-easily-044659

I always saw the people on food network do it, so I started trying it and it really works.
Your dinner looked really good! I think I'll try to make it sometime.