Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Missing out





Joey...

You've only been gone for 4 hours and you've already missed so much.

Cash smiled at me. He was staring at me so I looked down at him and a giant smile slowly lit up his whole little face. (Isn't it crazy how each milestone is just as special with each kid as it was with the last? Well....maybe not as special as it is with the first, but who remembers that far back anyway, right?)

Kayleigh got a scholarship to BYU! But she probably texted you at the same time as me, so maybe you didn't miss that.

You missed three emotional breakdowns from Gwen already and she has only been home for an hour. She also walked to dance class all by herself for the first time. I walked across the street with her and watched her until she turned the corner. She skipped for a minute and it was cute.

We lost Max for a little bit. He got a ride to school and I figured he was getting a ride home too. But then I wasn't sure and after Gwen had been home for half an hour I started to wonder if it is ever a good idea to assume anything. (I didn't want to call his ride because if she didn't pick him up I didn't want her to feel bad. Who decided it was a good idea to entrust me with children?) So I drove to preschool but he wasn't there. When I got home he was here with his little friend. They both had chocolate all over their faces and hands.

It is a nice day so I started to rake up the leaves in the back that are suffocating our lawn. After awhile I heard "That's a goooood mudpie!" from the front yard. And then the babe started to cry inside...so maybe we could finish it up together tomorrow?

And now I have to go get ready to go listen to Jason Chaffetz.



Does anyone have any good ideas for keeping little boys entertained that don't involve tv or messes? Max has had an eventful week and I don't know how much more I can handle. I still have to wash the ink off his walls and the toothpaste off of his couch. (And out of Gwen's hair.) I need suggestions from real moms with real boys.

10 comments:

kellyrass said...

I'm a real mom and my boy is real but he never made messes. Give him a good book to read . . . that always worked for me.

Randi said...

Can you help me out with that one too, except mine isn't even 2 yet. Helpless....

DD said...

I'm going to say duct tape.

Shauntel said...

I hear boarding school is good.

Kikal said...

Cars and lots of ramps constructed out of novel objects keeps Franky busy for hours. ladders...2x4's...chairs. Playdoh is also good, and it's cheap. We just play with it outside then it doesn't make a crusty mess in the house...can you go outside in your land yet?

patella2 said...

I have 3 very active little mess makers. And yes, they are in front of the TV right now. Zerin will be busy for a while if I give him a spray bottle full of water outside. He just squirts everything and loves it. A drop of food coloring makes it even better. David used to be kept busy with mazes. They have maze books at Michael's for $1.

Shauntel said...

I'm not good at sarcasm like Kelly. I feel bad the next day. Sorry for the unproductive comment. :) I write on a blog with a really creative mommy. She is going to post a fun list every month and she has great ideas. Here's the link for March:
http://the-polka-dot-umbrella.blogspot.com/2011/03/march-fun-list-and-rainbow-stew.html

suzy said...

Kelly...Josh is not real.
Randi...I hear ya.
Dion...have you ever tried it?
Shauntel...I would totally go for boarding school if he wasn't also my sweetest and most thoughtful child. I need him around.
Crystal...you know it isn't warm enough for outside playdough time yet. Quit rubbing it in. I was looking at your FB pics the other day and I'm so jealous that you can take your newborn outside into the fresh air.
Alicia...I am going to try mazes. I wonder if Max could sit still long enough. I'm afraid to give him permission to use a spray bottle though, he has a problem with cleaner and anything else liquid. (or solid)

Loriannie said...

Your 3 brothers STILL make big messes and they are adults!! I used to try to block the frontroom and keep the mess to 1 room, but that just encourages a creative mind all the more. I have to say that Max moves so quickly from one adventure to the next that I had a hard time keeping up with him. But he is so very sweet about it. Your next big problem will be keeping track of him outside, so good luck with that!!!

slp said...

Unbeknownst to my mother, the railroad was her best friend! Just teach him to jump onto moving freight trains and that'll keep him occupied for hours--especially if he can't find a southbound train to return home from up north and has to walk the whole way!