Thursday, September 06, 2012

School Shmool

To get a background on my crazy schooling ideas....you can read this.

But since I tend to get a little chatty I won't go into my past homeschooling adventure and how much I loath how long traditional school days are.

So we moved to Gilbert.  For the sole purpose of enrolling our children at a school that offers a half school day not only for kindergarten but also for the higher grades.

My kids didn't get in, but they DID get into a really good school that emphasizes leadership and BONUS....they did offer half day kindergarten.

So we rented a house.

My plan was that if I got into the other school we would just transfer the kids.

And then they did get in.

And I realized how LONG the city of Gilbert is.

And I google mapped the school.

And figured out that I would be in the car every single day for a total of 3 hours....IF I didn't hit any traffic. (This is mostly because my kids wouldn't be going at the same time since I have a kindergartener. So I would be making 3 trips)

So I cried a little and tried to figure out how I could make it work.

And then I learned that they have another campus a little closer to my house and it ended up working lots better because they have a program that makes your kindergarteners day match up with your other children.

So my kids go to school from 11-4.

And I am in the car a lot.

And I am a lot more responsible for their education.

Which turns out to be a lot more work than I bargained for.

But I love it.










And one of my children has a lot better attitude about life now that she spends more time at home with her family.  (Lots better, but still pre teenager.)

It was 114 degrees outside on this day.  I tried to convince her to change. And that night we almost had to cut these boots off of her feet.  Her sweat was like GLUE!

We are required to volunteer a minimum of 80 hours at the school.

So I signed up for every volunteery thing I could do from home.

But when another mother offered to trade babysitting so that we could both volunteer in the classroom once in awhile I took her up on it.


Anyway, I got a little too volunteery and at the rate I'm going I will never have a clean house or clean laundry but I will have all my hours completed by next month. ;)

And now I am fully involved in my childrens academic failures.

And it is embarrassing.

Can we go back to public school....preferably one with a bus route?

Seriously.



5 comments:

slp said...

These pictures of my grandkids and their mommy are SO cute! Max looks like kindergarten really agrees with him.

Sarah Jo said...

Love it! You are such a great mommy and you have adorable kids!!!

Jessica said...

Move back here and they can do the bus together! My gas budget needs a break

Nanette said...

Wow. That sounds crazy! That's great that you are so involved in their schooling. I think I'm a bad parent, because I prefer my kids to be at school longer. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.