Thursday, January 17, 2013

Sibling Rivalry

This little girl likes boys.



And it is terrible.

I cannot remember having a crush on a boy until at least 4th grade.

I can remember this girl planning weddings in preschool.

But I knew it was more serious when she stopped telling the boys that she loves that she loves them.

She is smart and doesn't tell her friends either.  

When Gwen has a crush on someone it stays in the family.

Until this week.

Gwen and Max got into a little scuffle in the 30 seconds that they have together in the carpool lane.

A take home plant was bumped....

A backpack made contact with a chubby cheek...

And then Max spotted Gwen's crush.

He started shouting, "Gwen! Why do you love *Lloyd? He doesn't even like you!"

(*Had to change his name...you never know. ;))

Of course Gwen's reaction made it obvious to everyone within earshot that what Max was spouting out couldn't possibly be anything but the truth.

He yelled similar truths a few times, Gwen scratched his cheek like a feral cat and then they finally spotted my car and it was over.

Since Max was the one bleeding from his face and crying his eyes out...it took me awhile to get the whole story. 

Once it was all out, Gwen burst into tears and it was one of the most heartbreaking moments of her little teenage life so far.

I remember that feeling.

And I wanted to cry with her.

I HATE being embarrassed.

I tried to convince her that maybe "he" didn't hear him or that even if he did she could act like it wasn't true. You know....play it cool.

She started to cry harder and wailed, "He will know for sure now because of how I act!"

I thought she meant the crazy way she acted trying to get her brother to shut-up.

She said, "NO!! The way I act everyday! I'm always in his face and annoying him!"

Oh dear.

She IS my child.

Poor little thing.

The only reason she is alive today is because my relationship with her father didn't start with me having a crush on him.

If it had....we would all have very different lives. 

Because there is no way he could have looked past that train wreck.

And luckily for my three kiddos, they have the dad that they have.

He came home early that night and talked some sense into all of us.

So Gwen's teacher did not get a weird email from a coddling mother asking her to please move Gwen's seat and explaining the whole silly situation.

Gwen did not get excused from school the next day by a coddling mother who remembers all too well how embarrassing it is to be 8. (and 9,10,11,etc.)

Instead Gwen faced her problems head on.

She said a lot of desperate prayers.

And nothing happened the next day at school.

Hurray for growing up and learning embarrassing lessons.

So  now let's hear your most embarrassing crush story.







8 comments:

Jessica said...

Haha I thought I was a boy until I was like 12 :) let alone have crushes on them. But I remember my younger brothers teasing me unmercifully when I finally started crushing. Good ol' sibling rivalry ;)

Randi Dunn said...

I told my best friend to ask a certain boy in my class to be my boyfriend. Instead she went over and asked him to be her boyfriend. I found out and ran past them crying. I went to run into the bathroom. Only when I looked up I was face to face with a boy at a urinal. I had ran into the boys bathroom in front of my first big crush and his new girlfriend. My mom had to come and get me from school because they were scared I was going to have a panic attack! It'll be ok gweny! Xoxo

The Belnaps said...

oh my heck..poor gwen. Plus I can't believe she already likes boys either. Ellie is totally not there yet..hmmm..at least I don't think so. But lets face it..I have 4 girls and my life is going to be filled with this drama..sighhhh. And my first crush was on my hubby's best friend back in the day (4th or 5th grade)But it was going nowhere..i was a chubby little thing. Sighhh again :) Good Luck!

Elyse Beard said...

When I was in middle school, I loooooooved this boy, and I was always being super annoying and lame, but I told myself that I was going to talk to him at school one day at our water break. Sooooo, I talked myself into talking to him at the water fountain one day, and so I was in front of him at the line to the drinking fountain, and then after I got my drink I turned around and waited for him to get done drinking, and so I am right in his face and he turns around to face me and I open my mouth to say hi and my gum fell straight out of my mouth onto his shoe. HIS SHOE!! I was mortified, and he just flicked it off and was really nice, but his friend was laughing hysterically at me.

I was sooooo embarrassed. Tell Gwen it could totally be worse.

Anonymous said...

It's really a cool and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

my website; A to Z Cash System

Anonymous said...

Outstanding post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject?
I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Bless you!

Check out my website :: akribos watches

Anonymous said...

Link exchange is nothing else but it is simply placing the other person's blog link on your page at proper place and other person will also do same for you.

Also visit my web page watches for women

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the
way, how could we communicate?

Check out my web blog - armitron watches for men