Wednesday, April 15, 2015

marriage is hard


Kids talk a lot.
They ask a lot of questions.

Today in the car Cash was asking a lot of questions about his drink and his belly cause he needed to pee. 
Then he suddenly had a light bulb moment and said, "Wait mom...is our belly connected to our weiner?"
The other kids got a good chuckle out of that learning moment.
One of his other inquiries today was about how we get to cemeteries after we die. He made me repeat this very detailed explanation for max when he got home from school.  And if you leave anything out he will remember. 
He was curious to know what an "Indian giver" was after preschool. 
He makes me recount to him a few times a week every detail of when I pierced my ears. 

Max wanted to know what a man cancelling suit was tonight before bed after watching the hulk on a talk show. 

Gwen started screaming my name tonight from the guest bathroom and I was sure she was going to need comfort only a mother can give,  but instead found her sitting on the toilet holding a brand new jar of chalk paint dripping it all over the carpet. Just curious at 10 years old what happens when you open a jar of paint upside down? 

What does all this blathering have in common?  Probably not much,  except that almost every time my kids open their mouths I think of Joey.  Sometimes it's because I'm telling them that dad will have all the answers to their questions when he gets home. Sometimes it's because I can't wait to laugh with him about something one of them has said. Sometimes it's because I'm blaming him for letting them watch something that brought up questions I'm not prepared to answer. But most of the time it's because we have a common enemy in these little people that we created and no one except Joey will ever care as much as I do about them.  Sometimes Joey and I are not a united front. Sometimes we hate each other. But even at my lowest marriage moments,  I would never deny that Joey is a better parent than me. And that's not saying much,  so maybe I should go further and say that he is almost perfect in the parenting department. 

Marriage is undeniably hard. Click here to read the best thing I've ever read on the subject. 

Then come back and look at all the cute pictures of Joey and tell me what drives you the absolute most crazy about your spouse. And I mean crazy like crazy hatred. Let's keep it real here. 


(Spoiler alert...the article is about divorce. Before you get all angry and judge me or think I'm judging you,  the article is about no fault divorce. It is not about getting divorced for reasons of abuse or infidelity. Plus I'm too lazy to care about what other people are doing or not doing. As long as you're not doing it with my husband. 😉)


















5 comments:

Joey said...

Seriously....

Joey said...

I don't remember consenting to have my likeness used in this article. You will be hearing from my lawyer.

Jessica said...

Haha I just read the Matt Walsh article and I really enjoyed it, and yours! Aaron and I have SO many irreconcilable differences that it can be overwhelming at times. The funny thing is is that it is small things that really don't matter in the long run. Like how to cut a kiwi, we still can't compromise on that one ;)

Layne Prince said...

I like hearing about your family :)

Elaine Goold said...

Oh Suzy-Q, i love reading your blog because you are so freaking honest! I can hear your voice when I read it! I could write a book about what my husband does that drives me crazy! You and I are so much alike it is scary! I also hate Mother's Day, Father's Day and Valentines Day for the exact same reasons you do. I just wanted you to know that I love you and when I say that, I mean I hope the best for you and it warms my heart to think of you because you are a very fun unique person who should think more highly of yourself. I also feel Ike I was the worst mother and worst wife in the world, but you know what? We are both doing okay!! Really! We are good moms and wives and we both need to be kinder to ourselves!